Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Because I can


I hate politics. Politicians are nothing but a bunch of liars & con men. There, I said it! Politics scared me. They scared me so much that I avoided the polling place for years! How many years you ask? Well, the first time I voted I was...."deep breath, donning flame proof jacket" 31, Thirty One, 3-1 years old. Yup, you heard right. I was 31 when I voted for the very first time!

I told my friend how much voting scared me & confessed to her that I was a loser who didn't vote. She didn't beat me, or slash the tires on my car. She told me step, by easy step, on how, what,where,when of voting (thanks J!) I found out that it really isn't that hard. All I had to do was speak up & get help. Imagine that!

So here I sit, 4 years later...voting. For me it was hard because I didn't like either candidate, but I studied up the best I could & then took a leap of faith & voted for who I thought would not do the worst job.

This voting season I feel worried about our country. I worry that the crapper is right around the corner. I worry, like everyone else worries. That's OK, that means I care for my country. Lately I feel like my vote doesn't count. I won't be heard. I don't matter. But then I remember who I am & my rights. We all worry, we all think our voice won't be heard. But our mothers before us would not agree with that. Our mothers before us will smile knowing that we daughters are worried, but we did the best we could do. We voted, because we can, because we should.





2 comments:

Normal Mom said...

I'm so proud of you! You had me worried, I thought you would bail on the voting this year. I'm glad you went. Way to honor the sisters of yesteryear!

Jennifer Louise said...

Jen, I love you! I believe so strongly in the power of one. And even though, due to the electoral college, our votes really don't count the way they should, some day the passion we have and exercise for our rights will be needed. We will march out into the streets with Natalie and Lanie with babies on their hips and fight to be heard! The Savior is watching over us and He will give us the strength to do it! You are so powerful, my sister!
-Jenn