Thursday, October 16, 2008

The Nap aka "Bury my head in the sand."

  • Life has gotten me down or rather, life is nucking futs! Let me explain. Everyday my little, "special" brain is bombarded by messages. Like a constant, annoying drip of water...messages eat away at me. You'd think a drop of water here or there wouldn't hurt. Not so! Drops of water have been known to soak through precious memories, destroy under the cabinet contents, rust pipes, drive a sleeping camper nuts, overflow a sink, drops of water have been used to torture people! Drops of water over time can corrupt, destroy & maim. My poor brain has said ENOUGH! I am done! I am truly sick (my throat is starting to hurt) & tired (I dream of sleep even when I am sleeping!) of these messages, drip, drip, drip, drip! I should do this & that. Vote yes or no, good or bad, black or white or grey, up or down, gay or straight, dog or cat, atheist or religion, hot or cold, stupid or smart, milk or juice, run or hide, meat or veggies....ARRRGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!

    No more. No more. I need to think for myself. And the way I need to do this is turn off the damn t.v, computer, radio, burn the newspaper, magazines & newsletters. Quiet. I need quiet from the world. I want to scream "shut the f up!" from my roof top (although that would confirm to my neighbors I'm nuts. I'd hate to see that happen!) Just...be...quiet. Life is filled with so much background noise I can't think straight!

    So I combat this crappy noise with my one great super power....NAP. Almost everyday I take a nap w/ my daughter. She & I curl up in bed with a good book ( a book I've read over & over again Oye!) I wrap her up in her blanket, She sucks her nap time paci (yeah, she's 3, shut up!) She tangles her fingers in my hair. We sleep.

    Here in Sleep, politicians can't yell at me, schools can't beg me for money, special interest groups can't con me. Here in Sleep I bury my head in the sand. I save myself from the drops of water that slowly eat away at my brain & heart & soul. Some say I'm lazy, Some shake their finger at me & say "you have a duty to keep up on world events", some are disappointed in me. To that I say. "You all want your voice to be heard, I understand that. I want to be heard too, but no one can hear me over this constant din of noise y'all have created. So I raise my voice & raise it & raise it, until I then discover... I have no voice left. I have screamed so long & so hard that over time I have become muted. This was your plan the whole time. To silence me. To over power me with your screeching "here me now, but I don't have to listen to you." demands. My voice is resting. Its not totally gone. One day, I will be back to quietly push my causes. Silently ...I will kick your a$$."

    Until that time, I nap with my daughter. Her fingers tangled in my hair. I go to a better place inside of myself. A quiet place of understanding. A place I can hear my OWN thoughts. I recharge & reclaim. I sleep.


2 comments:

Normal Mom said...

A nap is truly a beautiful thing.

Stacey said...

I am thinking you should rethink this mother/wife thing and become a writer. I hurt from the gym today! An hour and a half was too long for me and poor Beckett-what kind of mother am I??